Here are some tips for your every day life to make living waste-free just that much easier!
- Whenever leaving your house, always make sure you have packed your reusable water bottle.
- Ask for no straw when you are buying a drink (straws are not recyclable).
- Bring a mason jar to work or school to store your compost. When you get home, just compost it then.
- Use your stale bread to make croutons.
- Always carry around an extra tote bag for any surprise grocery shopping – or any shopping really!
- Swap Ziploc bags for reusable tin or glass containers. Check out this container from lifewithoutplastic.
- Learn to love your tap water.
- Swap your plastic tooth brush for a bamboo toothbrush. You can find them on amazon.ca or even some of your local health grocery stores. Bamboo Toothbrushes
- Change your light bulbs to LED.
- Check out your local farmers market.
- Meal plan to prevent food waste.
- Hang dry clothing instead of using the dryer.
- Ditch the paper towel and use cloth rags or tea towels.
- If the distance isn’t too far, avoid driving. Try to walk or bike over.
- Avoid junk mail by placing a sticker on your front door/mailbox.
- Learn where to properly dispose of electronics, batteries, hairspray cans, etc.
- Donate your unworn clothing.
- If you are buying a new pair of shoes, leave the shoe box at the store.
- Swap tea bags for loose leaf tea.
- Avoid dryer sheets and use Wool Dryer Balls. Drip a couple drops of your favourite essential oil onto them to give your clothes a fresh scent. Check out these Canadian Wool Dryer Balls.
- Research eco-friendly products like laundry detergents, cleaning products and even self-care products.
- Use paperclips instead of staples.
- Replace your CDs with USB sticks.
- Consider natural remedies when recovering from a sickness.
- Wash your clothes in cold water when possible.
- Ask for a real coffee mug when staying at a cafe.
- Switch out your Teflon pan for cast iron. Get it from your local Walmart or Home Depot. Lodge is a great brand!
- Pack a set of reusable cutlery wherever you go.
- Avoid buying into temporary fashion trends.
- Reuse gift wrapping paper and bows when possible.
- Rinse all items before recycling them, otherwise they wont be recycled!
- Avoid sunscreen that contains Oxybenzone. It is the leading cause of coral bleaching.
- Focus on experiences rather than things. 🙂
The Ladies of Sustainability ❤