This week’s #MeatlessMonday recipe is the perfect prep-ahead meal that makes Monday just a little more bearable. Plus this Mushroom Tofu Stir-fry might be even better as leftovers, meaning your Tuesday lunch just got a whole lot more exciting.
- 1/3 c low-sodium soya sauce
- 1/4 c teriyaki
- 3 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 inch chunk of ginger, grated
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp-1tbsp sambal (use sriracha instead to make this meal vegan)
- 1 package extra firm tofu
- 2 large handfuls of your favourite fresh mushrooms (I used cremini and oyster)
- 1/2 an onion
- 1 carrot (4-5 baby carrots)
- 1/2 an orange pepper
- Start by making the marinade. Mix soya sauce, teriyaki, garlic, ginger, sesame oil, Worcestershire, and sambal in a bowl or tupperware container.
- If you’re making this the night ahead move on to the next step. If you’re crunched for time you’ll want to remove excess moisture from the tofu so it absorbs the marinade quickly. Do this by wrapping it in a towel or paper towel, putting it between two plates, and placing a can or two on top. Leave it like this for 15-20 minutes.
- Cut tofu in 1/2 inch squares. I cut the block into eight pieces, then cut each of those pieces into eighths.
- Add the tofu to the marinade. Leave it in the fridge for up to 24 hours if unpressed, or 1 hour if pressed. Stir a couple times during the marinating time.
- Prep the veggies, cutting them into bite sized pieces. This can be done the night ahead to reduce prep time on Monday night.
- Cook tofu in a non-stick pan on medium-high heat. Leave the marinade in the bowl, this will be added later. Stir tofu regularly so that all sides get equally crisped. Don’t worry if it looks a little burnt, this is just the caramelized marinade.
- Remove tofu from the pan once all sides are browned.
- Lower heat to medium. Add onions and mushrooms, stirring occasionally.
- Once the onions are translucent add the carrots, peppers and marinade.
- Add the tofu when the veggies are cooked to your liking, then cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Serve over rice, rice noodles, or as wraps using pitas or Boston bib lettuce.
Serving size: 4
Prep time: 30 min
Cook time: 20 min
*Top with scallions or bean sprouts for a fresh crunch
*Use the paper mushroom bag to line your compost bin
*The tofu can be made on its own and goes great in a wrap with lettuce, tomato, and avocado
The Ladies of Sustainability ❤