Tasty Tuesday… because any day can be a meatless day!
It has been a bit rainy around here lately. And I know summer isn’t always the most ideal time for soup, but for rainy days in, it is perfect. I mean an excuse to snuggle up in bed and watch some Netflix, yes please.
This recipe was actually adapted from Hot for Food’s Tortilla Soup Recipe. Thank you Lauren for doing so much magic in the kitchen. You rock.
1 tbsp Vegetable Oil
3 cloves of Garlic, minced
1 cup of Diced Onion
1/2 cup of Diced Red or Yellow Pepper
1 tsp Chipotle Chili Powder
1/2 tsp Cumin
1/4 tsp Smoked Paprika
1/4 tsp Dried Sage
1 Block of Seasoned Smoked Tofu
2 Vine or Romano tomatoes, diced
1 1/4 cup Canned Crushed Tomatoes
2 cup of Vegetable Stock
1/2 tbsp Coconut Sugar
1 cup Canned Black Beans
1 cup Thawed Frozen Corn Kernels
1 Lime, Zest and Juice
Salt and Pepper to Taste
Diced green onion
Vegan Sour Cream or Cheese
Side of Fresh Sour Dough Bread
- Start with a large soup pot. Sauté onions with vegetable oil until soft. Then add the red pepper, all the spices and sauté for another 4-5 minutes.
- Chop the tofu up into cubes, then stir it in with the minced garlic and cook for about 2-3 minutes.
- Now add the crush tomatoes and diced tomatoes. Either fresh or canned tomatoes work perfectly. Stir it all together and then add the vegetable stock.
- Bring the soup to a simmer, and then add coconut sugar (helps with the acidity). Then add the black beans, corn, lime zest and juice, salt and pepper.
- Now let the soup simmer for at least 20 minutes before serving.
- Serve if with the desired toppings, or pair with a side of fresh bread, or rice.
The Ladies of Sustainability ❤