Burritos are all the craze (there are even Sushi Burritos and Cotton Candy Ice Cream Burritos – seriously, google it!), and tacos have their very own day #TacoTuesday. But where’s the love for the humble Mexican classic, the enchilada?? We’re bringing it back with these Sweet Potato Black Bean Enchiladas for #MeatlessMonday.
- 6 small corn tortillas
- 1 sweet potato
- 1 can black beans (540 mL)
- 1/2 a white onion
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 portobello mushroom
- 1/2 a red or yellow pepper
- 1 Roma tomato
- one small jalapeno
- 1 large chipotle pepper (The best option is to use canned chipotles in adobo sauce, but you can substitute 1 tsp ground chipotle)
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese, or your favourite vegan cheese – try a nacho flavoured variety for extra flavour!
- Tomatillo or red enchilada sauce to cover the enchiladas (I used two small cans of La Costena green Mexican salsa)
- Microwave the sweet potato for 3-4 minutes, until cooked almost all the way through. It should be tender, but not mushy. Carefully cut the hot potato into small, bite-sized pieces. Set this aside.
- Dice the onion and garlic, and put them in a large pan over medium-high heat along with the vegetable oil. Stir the pan occasionally through all the following steps.
- Chop the mushroom, adding it to the pan once the onion is translucent.
- Rinse the beans, then add them and the sweet potato to the pan.
- Chop the tomato and red/yellow pepper, and dice the jalapeno and chipotle. Add them to the pan along with 1 tsp of salt and pepper. Continue cooking for 3-4 min to allow the flavours to meld.
- Form the enchiladas by putting a large scoop of filling and a sprinkle of cheese on a tortilla, then roll it up. Make sure to save cheese to sprinkle on top.
- Place the enchiladas in a baking dish side by side, sprinkle with the remaining cheese and top with sauce.
- Bake at 400°F for ~15 minutes, until cheese is bubbly. Serve with rice, refried beans and salad – try romaine lettuce topped with pico de gallo and chopped avocado.
The Ladies of Sustainability ❤