Content created by Samantha Casey
Alfredo is a heavenly white pasta sauce, that is known for being rich and heavy with cream and butter! It is pure heaven and a great comfort food to make after a long day at work. However, I decided to take that comfort food and hit it with a twist of removing the traditional dairy products to make it completely vegan. It went from heavy rich dairy packed bowl to a veggie filled and no regrets comfort meal.
This recipe was inspired by my roommate, who turned vegetarian after reading a book on animal welfare and has subsequently become an amazing vegetarian cook. This actually inspired myself to cut dairy products from my diet and to be more adventurous with cooking. Thus, the recipe is named after him!
At first, I thought the idea of using cauliflower and almond milk to replace cream was going to end in a disaster that I would end up composting. However, it is now my go-to work lunch, as it is so healthy and filling. It is the perfect summer work lunch, as it is super easy and lasts well in a reusable container over night. Making your own lunch and bringing it to work can help you save a ton of money and is a great way to easily sneak sustainability into your lifestyle!
1 head of Cauliflower (although peak season is the fall, they are available fresh year round because of our agricultural system)
1 cup of PLAIN almond milk
1 (big) tablespoon of vegan or regular butter
1/2 tablespoon of minced garlic
2 handfuls of cut leaf spinach
Full box of linguine whole wheat pasta (or whatever your favourite noodle is)
Garlic salt and pepper to taste
- Pull cauliflower head apart until in bite sized pieces to make it easier to cook and blend
- Boil water and cook cauliflower for 5-7 minutes until tender. Tenderness can be tested with a fork.
- Place cauliflower into blender and add in almond milk, garlic, and tablespoon of butter. Salt and pepper can be added now or later!
- Blend on medium for 20 seconds or use the sauce function, if your blender has that function! The result should be a creamy and thick looking sauce that smells identical to alfredo sauce.
- Boil water for pasta and add in salt.
- Cook pasta until whatever is the preferred tenderness
- In sauce pan, add handfuls of spinach into pan and sautee until cooked.
- Add in alfredo sauce, I add in a ton! It is even good on its own, if your noodle to sauce ratio is off!
- Add in cooked noodles once they are strained out of water, then stir together with sauce and spinach.
- Place into bowls and serve! If making for lunch, put into reusable container with the lid OFF until cooled to prevent condensation on the lid from making the sauce water logged!
- If you have extra sauce, it lasts a long time (about a week) in the fridge in a container! So feel free to bottle any extra to use later on! The sauce would also make a great base for a pizza!
- Enjoy and take a pic tagging @sustainableuofg and @meatlessmonday on instagram or twitter to show off your efforts to eat consciously!